If you’ve been on social media long enough, you’re familiar with expert tips on what makes for popular blog posts and most clicked or re-tweeted topics, such as create lists, offer relationship advice, post popular hashtags, draft helpful “how-tos” on hobbies or health tips, use humor, ask questions and make interesting headlines, jump in on current events, link to articles, photos and videos, comment on current events, interact with celebrities, reward your followers… etc, etc.
If you’ve been doing your scriptural homework long enough, you probably have an idea of what Jesus would tweet/blog if he joined the online community and took the advice of the so-called experts. In fact, you’d probably also realize He was way ahead of his time and those so-called experts pocketed their tips off the New Testament.
1. Create lists: “Blessed are the poor in spirit, the meek, those who mourn, those who hunger and thirst for justice, merciful, pure of heart, peacemakers, those who are persecuted in my name…” (Matt 5:3-11)
2. #Relationshipadvice: “Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.” (Matthew 7:12) No one has greater love than this, to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.” (John 15:13)
3. #Finance101: “No servant can be the slave of two masters; such a slave will hate one and love the other or will be loyal to one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.” (Luke 16:13)
4. Link to articles/photos/videos: “I am the way the truth and the life…” (John 14:16) Article: Jesus Tips on Life, Blogging and Tweeting.
5. Use Humor, Ask Questions and Make Interesting Headlines: Jesus Feeds Five Thousand, Walks on Water, Makes the Blind See, the Lame Walk, Raises Lazarus to Life before he drops the bomb: “Do you suppose that I come to bring peace to the world? No, not peace, but division.”
6. Hobbies How-to: “Do not store up treasures for yourselves here on earth, where moths and rust decay, and robbers break in and steal. Instead store up treasures for yourselves in heaven, where moths and rust cannot destroy, and robbers cannot break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will also be.” (Luke 12:34)
7. Health Tips: “Those who are healthy do not need a physician, but the sick do. I have not come to call the righteous to repentance but sinners.” (Luke 5:31) While they were eating, Jesus took bread, said the blessing, broke it, gave it to them and said, \”Take it, this is my body.\” (Mark 14:22-26)
8. Interact with Blog/Twitter Celebrities: @Celebrities “The King of the Gentiles lord it over them and those in authority over them are addressed as ‘Benefactors’ but among you it shall not be so. Rather, let the greatest among you be as the youngest and the leader as the servant.” (Luke 22: 25-26)
9. Comment on Current Events: “You will hear of wars and reports of wars…there will be famines and earthquakes from place to place…they will hand you over to persecution…you will see the desolation of abomination spoken of through Daniel standing in the holy place…immediately after the tribulation of those days the sun will be darkened, the moon will not give its light, the stars will fall from the sky, and the powers of the heavens will be shaken. And then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven…and they will see the Son of Man coming upon the clouds of heaven with power and great glory…you also must be prepared for at an hour you do not expect, the Son of Man will come.” (Matthew 24)
10. Reward your followers: “Whoever wishes to come after me must deny himself, take up his cross and follow me.” Mark 8:31 (Stay with me, incentive follows shortly.) “In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places. If there were not, would I have told you I am going to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back again and take you to myself, so that where I am, you also may be.” (John 14:2-3)