The Patrick Coffin Show podcast features weekly interviews with A-list influencers and outliers in the effort to recover the Judeo-Christian roots of the culture. Patrick is the Canadian-born former host of Catholic Answers Live, and he has raving fans around the world. He injects these fascinating interviews with his own distinctive blend of depth and levity. If you’re tired of politically correct media speak, you want to see God back in the public square, and you’re not allergic to having a laugh, this is the place to be.
Dr. Scott Hahn
What? Another too-little-too-late book defending marriage? Dr. Scott Hahn thinks the battle has just begun for a resurgent reverence for marriage as it’s been defined for 3000+ years and was raised to the dignity of a Sacrament by Jesus Christ.
Marriage as Sacrament is badly misunderstood today, which is part of the reason why so many people leave their spouses when the going gets tough. Hahn, professor of theology at the Franciscan University of Steubenville, OH, and author of over 40 books, knows firsthand how tough the going can get. Share this very personal interview with one of the best known and respected Catholic thinkers and influencers in American Church history.
In this episode, you will learn
- The deeper meaning of “it is not good for the man to be alone” (Genesis 2:18)
- Why the Church calls marriage the Sacrament of “Matrimony”
- The connection between the 1930 Anglican decision to allow contraception and the current crisis of the definition of marriage
- Why marriage is the cell of the entire body of the Church and of the broader society
- How couples who stick together provide not just a solid foundation for their kids but a living homily to others
- Why the Sacrament of Matrimony is impossible without the “third party” of Jesus Christ
Resources mentioned in this episode
- The First Society: The Sacrament of Matrimony and the Restoration of the Social Order by Scott Hahn
- Rome Sweet Home: Our Journey to Catholicism by Scott Hahn and Kimberly Hahn
- A Father Who Keeps His Promises: God’s Covenant Love in Scripture by Scott Hahn
- Three To Get Married by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
- Genesis To Jesus: the St. Paul Center for Biblical Theology