Here’s what I’ve learned from the massive kerfluffle over Indiana’s RFRA:
1. Indiana is simply an intolerable (pun intended) place to do business, so mayors and governors from other states have declared Hoosier country off-limits. Bakers, florists, photographers, and restaurateurs in Indiana have apparently had super-secret meetings in which they have solemnly vowed they will never again serve any customer who doesn’t first swear to their heterosexuality. This is a known fact. It says so right there in the Indiana RFRA on page 1,057.
2. The mayors and governors from #1 are joined by Apple, among other companies, in this unqualified condemnation of Indiana and this audacious attempt to
preserve freedom for everyone legalize outright discrimination. Meanwhile, Apple’s expansion in the Middle East continues without a word of protest or even a furrowed brow, despite the fact that homosexuals in that region are often flogged. Yes, flogged. We don’t see that word often here in the U.S.A. but it’s what they did to Jesus before they crucified Him. It’s a pretty clear indication of intolerance.
3. Speaking of the RFRA itself, virtually no one in the media or in government cares what it actually says or why. (Or what it said, since it’s been “fixed” now.) They certainly will not be bothered to analyze it honestly or fairly. Facts do not matter. All that matters is that the public be made to hate Indiana and Governor Pence because they are legalizing discrimination against ‘gays’ everywhere! No ‘gay’ person will ever be able to eat out again, or buy flowers or cupcakes ever again. Ever. And they will lose their jobs tomorrow as well. Because that’s what RFRA is secretly designed to do. It says so right there on page 1,058.
4. For some unknown reason, travel to and business with New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Virginia, South Carolina, Florida, or any of the other states who already have their own RFRA laws on the books is perfectly fine, and the mayors and governors from #1 have not issued any restrictions. As noted above, travel to and business with Saudi Arabia has also not been prohibited.
5. Illinois is on the list of 19 other states that have an RFRA-type law. Then-senator Barack Obama voted for the law in Illinois. And don’t forget, there’s a federal RFRA as well. Bill Clinton signed that one.
6. Baking a cake for a same-sex wedding ceremony is surely absolutely no different than making someone a pizza for dinner on Tuesday night, so anyone who says they just don’t want to be involved in same-sex weddings is lying. They’re really saying they hate ‘gays’ and will tell them to get the hell out of their establishment, now that RFRA gives them the legal right (it’s right there on page 1,059). Therefore… such vermin business owners must be slandered and ruined. They must be sued until they’re bankrupt. Tweets about burning their business down are not uncalled for. They deserve it.
7. Hillary Clinton said that marriage is a sacred bond between a man and a woman; that marriage has always been known as such throughout history, and that the primary purpose of marriage was the raising of children. Harry Reid said that no state has the right to force its laws regarding marriage on any other state. Granted, they said these things about 10 years ago, but it sure is remarkable.
Finally, #8. Dan Savage, the foul-mouthed LGBT activist who said (among many other things) that “Carl Romanelli should be dragged behind a pickup truck until there’s nothing left but the rope”; and also that Dr. Ben Carson should come perform oral sex on him; and that he thinks about “f***ing the sh** out of” Senator Rick Santorum, has just been given a new Disney show called “Family of the Year”, based on his own life.
The execs at Disney are well aware of Savage’s actions, yet they still deem him worthy of a show on their network aimed at young people. Why?
Why is all of this happening? I think I know why, but it will be most politically incorrect to say so out loud.
I think it’s because Gay is the cause du jour of our time. I’ll go even a step further — Gay is the new (mandatory) ideology and idol of our time. You can be hateful, vile, vulgar, make threats, be vindictive, be dishonest, and seek to ruin anyone – as long as you’re Gay (or at least Gay-supporting).
It’s especially okay to do these things if the target of your outrage is a Christian, or just a conservative in general.
For the sake of Gay, journalists will lie and fabricate stories. For Gay, there is no bothering with facts. To hell with the truth. If the person or business or story doesn’t support the agenda and the propaganda, then it will be altered until it hits all the right buttons and generates the needed gasp of aghast from the ignorant and willing-to-be-deceived masses.
For the sake of Gay, and now for the sake of same-sex “marriage”, politicians will become amnesiacs and forget everything they ever said years ago about the sanctity of marriage and the family. They will denounce anyone who holds the very belief they themselves swore they held not long ago.
They will condemn every attempt to preserve the natural family unit of father, mother, and child, as blatant discrimination with purely hateful intent.
They will deliberately misrepresent legislation, twist the intent of others in government, and purposely brand everyone who resists this social re-engineering as out-of-touch, regressive, wanna-be slave owners looking for poor Gay folks to trample down.
Dan Savage specializes in vulgarity, profanity, threats, insults, intimidation, and hate, and he seems quite proud of it. And this, apparently, is what Disney feels is appropriate for our families today. This is the entertainment we need. Why?
We have seen how, with lightning speed, the media and the pop culture will pounce on and smack down anyone who speaks what they consider an unflattering or unsupportive word about a Gay person or Gay rights. This person is not defending an ancient truth about marriage, the family, and the human person — No! — he or she is a backwards bigot. End of story.
It is absolutely right that violent remarks, threats and insults are condemned. Nobody should be treated that way. There’s no reason for it, no place for it, and no excuse for it.
So why are Savage’s actions and words excused and tolerated, and now even rewarded? Why? Is it because he’s Gay and he supposedly speaks for the Gay community? Is it because his targets are conservatives, or Christians? It’s pretty hard not to come to that conclusion.
There is no longer any tolerance for anyone who is not in full accord with the Gay agenda. Such a citizen will not be allowed to own a business, hold an office, speak in public, teach at a school, give a sermon, or do much of anything outside their own home, and if they try, they will be swiftly and severely punished.
So, what I’ve really learned this past week is this: We are, in short order, becoming a nation that actually despises freedom. We have come to loathe the truth, and to crave distorted propaganda instead. We have lost the ability, or have forgotten how, to think at all. We can only react with emotion, and rarely at all employ reason and mature judgment.
In our zeal to abolish God and His law, we made government our god and demanded totalitarianism. We no longer allow any dissent from or non-participation in the government-sanctioned idol.
Gay must rule the day now, to the exclusion of everything and everyone else. Gay must be obeyed and worshiped. It has been decided.
So the invented hysteria continues, and the anti-Christian flames are fanned into full roar, and many people will become fearful and quietly fade into the background. Some (most?) politicians who started out strong will cave under pressure and self-preservation. People will be faced with the decision to acquiesce or lose their business. They will be bullied into submission. All this in the name of progress and “freedom.”
There’s much, much more than cake and flowers at stake. And this week I learned that what really matters doesn’t matter at all compared to the witch hunt that must be carried out against Christian business owners or anyone who has the nerve to have a conscience that prompts them differently than Gay says is allowed.