Off the Shelf 099 – Fr. Mark Toups
We haven’t dived into our Thanksgiving feasts yet but this week we are going to talk about Advent. I wanted to give everyone the opportunity to get their hands on the excellent Advent journal from Fr Mark Toups Rejoice! Advent Meditations with Mary, Journal. Fr Mark and I take a look at why it is important to include Mary in our Advent journey to Christmas, why Christmas day is an event rather than a single 24-hour occurrence, and how we can effectively dive into scripture to build a lifelong rewarding habit of journaling.
From the publisher Ascension Press
This Advent, don’t get caught up in the busyness. Don t get lost in the anxiety of preparing for a day. Joyfully anticipate the coming of the person of Jesus through an encounter with his Most Blessed Mother.
Imagine having an Advent that is more peaceful, more joyful, and more meaningful than ever before.
The Rejoice! Advent Meditations with Mary, Journal not only lets you walk beside Mary during the first Advent but also lets you get to know her in a way you haven t before.
Rejoice! offers more than insights and information about Mary’s life it offers an opportunity for you to encounter Mary in the quiet of your heart.
Each day, in a few short pages, Fr. Toups provides you with aids to help guide your prayer:
● A word – Focus on a single word each day to draw out the details, the specifics of who Our Lady is.
● A reflection – Learn more about Mary, the culture in which she was raised, and the world in which she lived.
● A Psalm – Each day, you’re given a Psalm to pray (just as Mary herself would have prayed) to help you enter into prayer.
● A reading – In reading Scripture, you find the Word of God, bringing you closer to Mary, who carried the Word in her body.
● A prompt – Space is provided each day to journal. Record how the Lord is speaking to you this Advent.
Father Mark Toups is a priest for the Diocese of Houma-Thibodaux, where he serves as director of seminarians. In addition, Fr. Toups works for the Institute for Priestly Formations, specializing in communications, development, and spiritual direction. Fr. Toups has also served as Pastor of St. Lucy’s Catholic Church in Houma, LA, and St. Luke’s Catholic Church in Thibodaux, LA. He received his master of divinity degree from Notre Dame Seminary in New Orleans