It seems as though the devil has taken control of our world lately. Politicians are whole-heartedly embracing abortion, homosexual marriage, human cloning, embryonic stem cell research, marijuana sales, gambling, euthanasia, etc., as though these things are somehow normal, right, and good, instead of monstrous evils. Politicians are trading the hereafter for the here and now by legalizing these horrors, and destroying our society in the process. So what’s the average person sitting in the pews on Sunday supposed to do to fight back? I’m glad you asked! The antidote is the Holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary.
The Rosary and Meditation
Mother Mary has given us the rosary to overcome the devil. Yes, it’s just that simple. The invisible devil wins a lot of battles in our lives by invisibly controlling our imagination. The devil can implant lots of suggestive thoughts in our mind, which he usually has access to 24/7. Lewd thoughts, delusions of grandeur, and wild ideas brought on by addiction to pornography or drugs are his usual ways of attacking our psyche. The devil really can implant thoughts in our mind, and these phantoms can sometimes lead to actions which are sinful, like masturbation, get-rich-quick schemes, fornication, revenge on our enemies, and slothfulness. However, when we freely lift up our minds to God through the rosary, that demonic link is broken.
Meditating on the Holy Rosary only takes about a quarter of an hour when the devil can’t insert his filth into our brain. But, by saying the rosary, we are meditating on scripture, which he hates. Thinking about the events in the lives of Jesus and Mary destroy his toehold in our imagination, and thus we become less open to his way of thinking ‒ that way being the way of the world, the way of “if it feels good, do it,” the way of selfishness and the way of egocentric pride. In other words, he wants our bodies to drag our souls to hell. The Holy Rosary, on the other hand, will inspire our souls to lift our bodies into heaven.
Benefits of Meditation
Besides all of the spiritual benefits one gets when reciting the Holy Rosary, there are also physiological benefits to meditation as well. Dopamine, the feel good hormone, is increased in your body when you meditate, up to 64%! Stress and anxiety are reduced. The ability to remember things is increased. Better sleep results, pain management becomes easier, and blood pressure is reduced. To read more on these benefits, click here. Because of all this, the devil really HATES meditation, especially meditation on the lives of Jesus and Mary in the Holy Rosary.
Lighting a Candle
Reciting the rosary and thoughtfully meditating on the twenty mysteries each day is directly analogous to lighting a candle in a dark cave. If you’ve ever been in a cave on a tour, and the tour guide turns out the lights, you know what total darkness is like. Then, when the guide lights a small match, you experience how even the smallest flame can overcome the total darkness. This is exactly what happens when you meditate on the scriptural events in the rosary. You are lighting a small candle in a very dark world, and the devil really hates that, as he is a huge fan of total darkness. Jesus is The Light of the world, and by meditating on His life, you are helping to bring that Light into the world.
Also, when you recite the rosary, you are inviting the Holy Spirit-filled Mother Mary to take over your life, and the lives of your family. The more you say the rosary, the more your secret sins will begin to disappear. You will still have problems in the world, for sure, but if you are faithful in your daily spiritual exercise of meditating on the rosary, you will now have renewed strength to overcome these problems. You will also be able to do more for God through your work, through your words and through volunteering your free time to build up the Kingdom of God! You will also develop a fervent love of the daily Eucharist!
St. Dominic, The Rosary, and the Devil
Mother Mary initially appeared to St. Dominic in 1208 AD and told him how to say the rosary. Later on, St. Dominic asked Mary to force the demons who possessed a man to reveal the truth about devotion to her. The devils were thus forced by her to reveal this secret of the rosary:
“Now that we are forced to speak we must also tell you this: Nobody who perseveres in saying the Rosary will be damned, because she obtains for her servants the grace of true contrition for their sins and by means of this they obtain God’s forgiveness and mercy.”
St. Louis de Montfort
St. Louis de Montfort wrote a wonderful little book called, The Secret of the Rosary. Some of his greatest quotes are as follows:
“If you say the Rosary faithfully until death, I do assure you that, in spite of the gravity of your sins, you shall receive a never fading crown of glory. For even if you are now on the brink of damnation, even if you have one foot in hell, even if you have sold your soul to the devil…sooner or later you will be converted and will amend your life and save your soul, if you say the Rosary devoutly every day of your life.”
“When the Holy Rosary is said well, it gives Jesus and Mary more glory and is more meritorious than any other prayer.”
“Never will anyone who says his Rosary every day be led astray. This is a statement that I would gladly sign with my blood.”
Other Quotes from the Saints on the Rosary
“The Rosary is the ‘weapon’ for these times.” – Saint Padre Pio
“Give me an army saying the Rosary and I will conquer the world.” – Blessed Pope Pius IX
“The greatest method of praying is to pray the Rosary.” – Saint Francis de Sales
“Some people are so foolish that they think they can go through life without the help of the Blessed Mother. Love the Madonna and pray the rosary, for her Rosary is the weapon against the evils of the world today. All graces given by God pass through the Blessed Mother.” – St. Padre Pio
“Go to the Madonna. Love her! Always say the Rosary. Say it well. Say it as often as you can! Be souls of prayer. Never tire of praying, it is what is essential. Prayer shakes the Heart of God, it obtains necessary graces!” – St. Padre Pio
“The holy Rosary is a powerful weapon. Use it with confidence and you’ll be amazed at the results.” – St. Josemaria Escriva
“Say the Holy Rosary. Blessed be that monotony of Hail Mary’s which purifies the monotony of your sins!” – St. Josemaria Escriva
“For those who use their intelligence and their study as a weapon, the Rosary is most effective. Because that apparently monotonous way of beseeching Our Lady as children do their Mother, can destroy every seed of vainglory and pride.” – St. Josemaria Escriva
“The Rosary is a powerful weapon to put the demons to flight and to keep oneself from sin…If you desire peace in your hearts, in your homes, and in your country, assemble each evening to recite the Rosary. Let not even one day pass without saying it, no matter how burdened you may be with many cares and labors.” – Pope Pius XI
“The Rosary is the most excellent form of prayer and the most efficacious means of attaining eternal life. It is the remedy for all our evils, the root of all our blessings. There is no more excellent way of praying.” – Pope Leo XIII
“No one can live continually in sin and continue to say the Rosary: either they will give up sin or they will give up the Rosary” – Bishop Hugh Doyle
“The Most Holy Virgin in these last times in which we live has given a new efficacy to the recitation of the Rosary to such an extent that there is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families…that cannot be solved by the Rosary. There is no problem, I tell you, no matter how difficult it is, that we cannot resolve by the prayer of the Holy Rosary.” – Sister Lucia dos Santos of Fatima
The Fifteen Promises of the Blessed Virgin Mary to All Who Faithfully Pray the Rosary
1. To all those who shall pray my Rosary devoutly, I promise my special protection and great graces.
2. Those who shall persevere in the recitation of my Rosary will receive some special grace.
3. The Rosary will be a very powerful armor against hell; it will destroy vice, deliver from sin and dispel heresy.
4. The rosary will make virtue and good works flourish, and will obtain for souls the most abundant divine mercies. It will draw the hearts of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
5. Those who trust themselves to me through the Rosary will not perish.
6. Whoever recites my Rosary devoutly reflecting on the mysteries, shall never be overwhelmed by misfortune. He will not experience the anger of God nor will he perish by an unprovided death. The sinner will be converted; the just will persevere in grace and merit eternal life.
7. Those truly devoted to my Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
8. Those who are faithful to recite my Rosary shall have during their life and at their death the light of God and the plenitude of His graces and will share in the merits of the blessed.
9. I will deliver promptly from purgatory souls devoted to my Rosary.
10. True children of my Rosary will enjoy great glory in heaven.
11. What you shall ask through my Rosary you shall obtain.
12. To those who propagate my Rosary I promise aid in all their necessities.
13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire Celestial Court during their life and at the hour of death.
14. Those who recite my Rosary faithfully are my beloved children, the brothers and sisters of Jesus Christ.
15. Devotion to my Rosary is a special sign of predestination.
Blessings of the Rosary
1. Sinners are forgiven.
2. Souls that thirst are refreshed.
3. Those who are fettered have their bonds broken.
4. Those who weep find happiness
5. Those who are tempted find peace.
6. The poor find help.
7. Religious are reformed.
8. Those who are ignorant are instructed.
9. The living learn to overcome pride.
10. The dead (the Holy Souls) have their pains eased by suffrages.
Benefits of Saying The Rosary
1. It gradually gives us a perfect knowledge of Jesus Christ.
2. It purifies our souls, washing away sin.
3. It gives us victory over all our enemies.
4. It makes it easy for us to practice virtue.
5. It sets us on fire with love of Our Lord.
6. It enriches us with graces and merits.
7. It supplies us with what is needed to pay all our debts to God and to our fellow men; and finally, it obtains all kinds of graces for us from Almighty God.
So, what are you waiting for? Start defeating Satan in your family’s life by saying the Rosary every day!